By Mahmoud El-Yousseph
While a Palestinian-American citizen was chatting with his Jewish friend about whether the Palestinians could have peace with Israel, the Palestinians said yes, there could be only just peace.
My Jewish friend whom I would identify only with his first name David asked me on the day Israel, the UAE, and Bahrain signed the peace deal at the White House if the Jewish state would ever have peace.
I answered yes! Even though Israel and the two Gulf states do not share borders and were never at war, they celebrated their peace deal a the expense of the Palestinians pain and suffering.
I further said Israel can have peace tomorrow with the Palestinians if chooses to but it has to do its part. David surprisingly asked, "What does Israel have to do that it did not do already?"
I shared with him this list of 13 steps Israel has to take to achieve a genuine and lasting peace with the Palestinians without having to go to war:
- End the occupation of Palestinian territories in compliance with UNSC Resolution 242
- Allow the Palestinian refugees the right to return to their homes and or compensate them as ordered by UNGA Resolution 194
- Lift the strangling and inhumane siege on the Gaza Strip imposed by Israel 13 years ago
- Cancel the Israeli planned annexation of Palestinian lands
- Free all 5,640 Palestinian political prisoners, including women and children, held in Israeli prisons
- Return the remains of 262 Palestinians held by Israel to their loved ones for proper burial
- Tear down the Apartheid wall Israel erected in the West Bank in accordance with The International Court of Justice order
- Return the Lebanese-occupied Shebaa farm that Israel occupied since 1967
- Withdraw from the Syrian-occupied Golan Height that Israel seized in 1967
- Stop claiming falafel as an Israeli dish. Falafel was invented in Egypt by an Egyptian Copt in the 11th century.
- Quit marketing hummus and tabbouleh as Israeli food. Everyone knows both dishes are as Lebanese as "schnitzel" is German food
- Remove all Israeli military presence from Al-Aqsa Mosque and Al-Haram al-Sharif (the Noble Sanctuary) in Jerusalem
- Get rid of all 140 military checkpoints that Israel uses within the West Bank to humiliate and control the movement of Palestinians
Palestine Post 24The views expressed in this article belong to the author and do not necessarily reflect the editorial policy of Palestine Post 24