Egyptian navy opened fire on Friday night at three Palestinian fishermen south of Gaza Strip, killing two, wounding and arresting another.
Head of Palestinian Fishermen Syndicate, Nizar Ayyash, said that the Egyptian navy opened fire at Palestinian fishing boat after entering Egyptian water off the southern Gaza city of Rafah.
There were three fishermen onboard the fishing boat and they were brothers. They were identified as Mahmoud, Yasser and Hassan Mohamed Za’zou’.
Coordinator of Fishermen Committees, Zakariya Baker, said that the three fishermen entered the sea on Thursday evening and the Egyptian navy opened fire at them on Friday night (1am).
Baker confirmed the death of two fishermen and detention of the third.
Spokesman of the Palestinian Interior Ministry Iyad al-Bozom said that his ministry has been looking for reports about the fishermen missing off Rafah coast since midnight.
It is worth noting that a dozen of Egyptian fishermen entered the Palestinian water after a sudden storm last year and the Palestinian navy rescued them, offered all the needed help for them and treated them as champions from a neighbour country.
During the security chaose erupted in 2013 in the wake of the military coup carried out against the late freely-elected Egyptian President Mohamed Morsi, the Egyptian officers lost contact with their commanders in Cairo.
The Palestinian interior ministry in Gaza care about them and offered them food and other services.
Palestinians are wondering why the Egyptian navy is treating the Palestinian fishermen this way, while they have never harmed Egypt or the Egyptians.
In November 2018, the Egyptian naval forces opened fire at a Palestinian fishing boat and killed a fisherman. Several such incidents have been recorded in the past.
Palestine Post 24